<<Home Niagara Falls Reporter Archive>>

Niagara Falls Boxer Nick Casal's Ring Return Delayed

Niagara Falls boxer Nick Casal (22-4-1, 17 KO's) was scheduled, but did not fight journeyman boxer Shakha Moore (11-19-3, 2 KO's) of Norwalk, Conn., at the Niagara Falls Conference and Event Center last week.

Moore was denied a license by the New York State Athletic Commission because of concerns over a medical issue following eye surgery.

The light welterweight, Casal, was to return to the ring after a 28 month lay-off after his boxing career was halted after he was assaulted; the fight to be his first since he KO'd Michael Anderson at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Oct. 15, 2011.

Casal's win then set him up for a bout against Ruslan Provodnikov in June of 2012, in what would have been a nationally televised card from the Seneca Niagara Casino and, if he had won, he would have been positioned for a bout against someone in the top 10.

But a month before the fight, Casal was injured when he went to get his girlfriend who was at her ex-boyfriend Michael Vicki's house on Portland Street, in the town of Niagara.

After Casal arrived, the two men fought over the woman.

Vicki told investigators Casal was the aggressor and he had no choice but to defend himself. No weapon was recovered in the case. Vicki told investigators he didn't remember what he hit Casal with, but police believe Casal was knocked unconscious with a stick or crowbar.

After being pummeled, Casal regained consciousness and was driven from the scene to his home. He was later taken to ECMC where he was treated for serious wounds, including an almost foot-long gash on the side of his head, a bruised brain, a chipped tooth and a swollen arm.

Vicki was initially charged with first degree-assault and would have been imprisoned for up to 25 years if he was found guilty.

Vicki pleaded guilty to reduced charges of attempted first-degree assault and fifth-degree insurance fraud, a plea deal which capped his sentence at five years in prison.

Helping to persuade Vicki to accept the plea, was that the deal included resolution of the insurance fraud matter.

The latter charge resulted from a separate incident in which, a few days before the fight with Casal, Vicki crashed his car into a tree on Frontier Avenue, left the scene, and falsely reported the car stolen. He was able to collect $21,783 from New York Central Mutual Insurance for damages.

Vicki was sentenced to five years followed by three years of post-release supervision.

Casal's immediate fight plans are uncertain although it has been rumored he might be a sparring partner for Floyd Mayweather for a May title defense.



Niagara Falls Reporter - Publisher Frank Parlato Jr. www.niagarafallsreporter.com

Mar 04, 2014