National Fuel Reminds Residents to Stay Safe this Winter

In Community News

Share with:

FacebookTwitterGoogleTumblrLinkedInRedditPinterestEmail this pagePrint this page

National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation (National Fuel) advises homeowners to be vigilant and pay attention to outdoor gas meters, furnaces and vents throughout the winter season.

Snow, ice and extreme cold temperatures can pose a variety of safety and performance issues for heating systems.

Ensure outdoor gas meter safety and proper service by:

• Keeping the gas meter and area around the meter free of snow

• Clearing paths to the meter

• Informing those working, shoveling, plowing or snowblowing around a meter of its

• Calling National Fuel (http://southbuffalonews.com-800-365-3234) if a meter becomes encased in ice as

• Exercising caution when removing icicles from a meter or any area of the roof above the

• Not letting children play or climb on the meter

Natural gas furnaces and fireplaces have a vent pipe or flue that sends exhaust and gaseous byproducts outdoors through a chimney or pipe. Furnace exhaust vents can become easily clogged by debris, ice or snow, causing the furnace to shut off or operate inefficiently. Blocked vents also can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide gas inside a residence.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and dangerous gas produced when fuel (heating oil, propane, kerosene, charcoal, gasoline, wood or natural gas) is burned without enough air for complete combustion. When inhaled, carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness, brain damage and death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: fatigue, coughing, headache, irregular breathing, dizziness, overall paleness, nausea and cherry red lips and/or ears. Those experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately open windows and doors, move outside and call 9http://southbuffalonews.comhttp://southbuffalonews.com.

Avoid a carbon monoxide emergency by:

• Having a qualified professional inspect and test chimney, appliances and heating

• Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home

• Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating your home

• Never run a gasoline engine (such as a gasoline generator) or an automobile in an

• Never use a portable charcoal or propane grill indoors

 

As always, if you smell gas, act fast! If a rotten-egg natural gas odor is present, leave the premises immediately without turning on or off any electrical appliances and call National Fuel’s emergency line (http://southbuffalonews.com-800-444-3http://southbuffalonews.com30) from a different location.

If you smell an odor of gas outdoors, please call National Fuel’s emergency number and provide the address nearest to the site of the odor.

To learn more about natural gas safety, visit

http://www.nationalfuelgas.com/forhome/gassafety.

National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation is the Utility segment of National Fuel Gas Company, a diversified energy company that is engaged in a number of natural gas-related activities. The Utility provides natural gas service to approximately 738,000 customers in Western New York and northwestern Pennsylvania. To learn more about the Company, visit www.NationalFuelGas.com.national-fuel-gas-co-logo

Share with:

FacebookTwitterGoogleTumblrLinkedInRedditPinterestEmail this pagePrint this page


Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: There is no form with ID 0, perhaps it was deleted? in /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-content/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/includes/forms/class-form.php:52 Stack trace: #0 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-content/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/includes/forms/functions.php(13): MC4WP_Form::get_instance(Object(WP_Post)) #1 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-content/themes/daynight/content.php(378): mc4wp_get_form('') #2 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-includes/template.php(690): require('/home/bhagavan2...') #3 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-includes/template.php(647): load_template('/home/bhagavan2...', false) #4 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-includes/general-template.php(155): locate_template(Array, true, false) #5 /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-content/themes/daynight/single.php(19): get_template_part('content', '') #6 /home/bhagava in /home/bhagavan2/public_html/niagarafallsreporter.com/wp-content/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/includes/forms/class-form.php on line 52